Shakshuka is a popular Mediterranean dish, healthy, simple, easy yet delicious. It is often synonymous with a brunch. Hence the love for shakshuka!
Anyone can make a good shakshuka, it is a favorite for a lazy yet good breakfast. There are many different recipes and varies from a country to another across North Africa and Middle east. However, for the easiest version, what you need for a 2 persons meal is:
- 3 eggs.
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced.
- One table spoon of Cilantro.
- 1/2 tea spoon(tp) of Cumin, 1 tp of salt, 1 tp of pepper, and 1 tp of paprika for seasoning (salt and pepper to taste).
Now you may ask what is the secret ingredient? Well, there isn’t one but actually there is! It is olive oil :), so add to the above list:
- 3-4 table spoons of extra virgin Olive oil.
You may not know it and you substitute the oil for some tasteless vegetable oil, but Olive oil is essential to give it the taste it is known for!
The best way to cook is:
- In a frying pan on low-medium heat, add the sliced onion first before you add 3 table spoon of olive oil (so the oil doesn’t get burned), and mix.
- Cover the pan and let it cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato (sliced), and let cook covered for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, cumin and paprika, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Add the eggs to the mixture, let it cook covered few minutes until the eggs are fully cooked. (Don’t mix anymore, let the eggs take a solid structure).
- Add another table spoon of olive oil just one minute before you take the pan away from heat.
- Optional: sprinkle some more pepper, few drops of fresh cilantro, or feta cheese.
And enjoy a great breakfast.